6/14/2005

I feel safer now

My wife and I attended the Texas Rangers game last night. We tried to enter the ballpark with a small hard cooler containing our daughter's formula and medication, both of which need to be refrigerated. We both discovered that you are not allowed to take hard coolers into the stadium. I had no idea. Sure that's my fault. I could have called or checked the Ranger's website. But I didn't.
When asked why we could not enter with the cooler we were given this gem as an answer, "Since 9/11 terrorists have been able to make bombs in hard coolers". Give me a break. This guys somehow implies that everyone was behaving themselves before 9/11/. I don't doubt that you could make a bomb out of a cooler. But I don't want to hear how its connected to 9/11. Every lame law/rule is blamed on 9/11 and EVERYONE accepts it. As long as those in authority still have that day fresh in people's minds then they can almost do as they please. Just tell people that they are being protected because of 9/11 and most will buy it.
Not this guy though. I know Sean Hannity says "that its different in a post 9/11 world" but its really not different at all. Americans are sadly now more aware of the way of the world. I can't take a cooler into the ballpark for security purposes, but I can take a stroller or a car seat, or anything I can hide on my person because I am not searched or required to walk through a metal detector. Nice.

2 comments:

Charles North said...

Ryan, you're a great American! And remember, like the Roman emperors used to say, we have our "bread and circuses."

Ryan said...

I know, I know. It is hard being a great American. Having to love freedom and liberty when so few around me care.