9/06/2005

What a sobering weekend

We (Partners in Hope) split our 30 voluteers between Irving Bible Church and the DFW Lakes Hilton on Labor Day weekend. Who would have thought two weeks ago that we would have almost 600 refugees in the Hilton in Grapevine? For that matter who ever thought we would have American refugees in the United States? Most of us never did.
I was pleased to see the amount of volunteers who came out to help. I sincerley hope that the volunteers are still out in force three weeks from now.
I would like to share about an incredible lady I met on Sunday morning. Phyllis is 72 years old and I met her whilen helping refugees check their e-mail, sign up for assistance etc. I sat next to her and read the e-mail from her husband (who refused to leave New Orleans) saying that he was hospitalized in Lake Charles, LA and that he was doing fine. She shared that she heard that he was alive after praying all night for his safety. Hers was sadly one of the few happy stories from the weekend.
I helped a man whose eyes were glazed over and who seemed to be in shock. So much so that he could not remember his address. He apologized to me and checked his drivers lisence for the correct information.
Phyllis, even during this moment of tragedy in her life was able to put things into perspective for me. She said that God had been faithful to her all of her life and that He had not forgotten her now either. All of her family members were alive and that was all that mattered.
What a lady.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. North - Our church setup as a shelter on Saturday to take care of some people. At first, it was set up to house 80 people and was one of the 4-5 shelters in Mckinney. We did not know how long we would be a shelter, but were told we would be the first shelter that would be closed. We ended up getting 47 people total and they were all gone by Monday. McKinney has an old Wal-mart that they converted to a long term shelter, so all the people were moved there.
It was an unbelievable experience to help them and there was so much that people donated, time and clothes, etc.
We had a short service Sunday morning, and I almost cried when our pastor spoke and we sang songs. My eyes watered up a little and I usually never cry.
Johnny

Ray said...

Hey Ryan -- I was over at the Hilton yesterday; we (Covenant Fellowship) ended up sponsoring one man, and kind of 'adopting' the family he is staying with.

The stories were heart-wrenching, but made me appreciate all the more those things we sometimes take for granted... I think most of the folks had homes by the time I left yesterday...

Anonymous said...

Ryan, thats powerful stuff. You and Jon are good people.